The guys over at FireCore have released an updated version of their Seasonpass jailbreak software. This latest update, includes support for the current 5.0.1 iOS version that’s running on the Apple TV 2G.
Although there is support for the latest firmware, this jailbreak comes in a tethered flavor. Meaning every time you reboot your Apple TV you will have to connect up through the USB port to start the AppleTV up. This for many like myself is not a big deal, since my Apple TV never turns off. The standard power draw on the Apple TV is about 2-5 watts, which equals out to $3.50 to have it turned on throughout the whole year.
Ok so lets get started.
- This jailbreak works with both Windows and OS X so download the correct version from the top right corner of this page.
- You will also need the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer.
- You will also need a micro USB cable
I’ll assume you have the two things above downloaded to your desktop and the micro USB cable, now we can proceed.
1. Close iTunes, and launch SeasonPass.
2. Select the Create IPSW button
4. Next you will be prompted to connect your AppleTV, only connect the USB cable, not the power cable
5. Using the supplied silver remote control, press the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button together for seven seconds until the small light on the front of the Apple TV flashes rapidly.
Now your AppleTV is jailbroken, however you need to still boot it up in to a jailbreak state, to enable the use of the jailbreak features. So …
To boot your Apple TV 2G tethered follow the instructions below.
0. Disconnect your device if you just jailbroke it using the instruction above.
2. Again follow the instructions to put the device into DFU mode.
3. When you have booted, connect the power cable, and then disconnect the USB cable.
You’re all done.