Alright here comes the next tool This time we’ll chat about the Pwnagetool, while this is a Mac only tool, it does allow you to update to 5.1.1 while preserving your baseband, thus allowing you to keep your software unlock.
This version of Pwnagetool supports the following devices:
- iPhone 4
- AppleTV 2G
from the dev team :
PwnageTool also avoids any possible sync issues, but again it applies only to A4+earlier devices. If you unlock your iPhone with ultrasn0w or a commercial method, you must use PwnageTool to avoid updating your baseband otherwise you’ll lose the unlock. PwnageTool will also jailbreak+untether the AppleTV2,1 5.0_2B206f (unless you customize the IPSW further, you’ll have just basic SSH access to the device).
Now lets go through the tutorial.
1. Backup your software, connect to iTunes and backup your device, just incase you want to restore, or if something fails during the jailbreak process.
2. Download PwnageTool from the top right corner of this page, and download the firmware 5.1.1 from our firmware section.
3. Start PwnageTool and accept the little warning thats going to popup.
4. Select your device and click the blue arrow
5. Pwnagetool by default will try to locate your firmware, its going to look in your iTunes folder. If the firmware is not found there it will switch to expert mode and prompt you to browse for the firmware, in that case select the 5.1.1 firmware you downloaded in step 2.
6. You should get a green checkmark and you should be able to hit the blue arrow again
7. Select General – click blue arrow again
8. At this screen you will see an option that will allow you to activate or hacktivate your iPhone. Only check this if your iPhone is not on the original provider aka carrier.
9. click the blue arrow, at the cydia screen click the blue arrow again, on the custom packages screen you should see cydia installer checked off, click blue arrow
10. Now we are almost done prepping the firmware, select build and click the blue arrow
11. PwnageTool will prompt you where to save the firmware, select desktop for easy reference.
12. Let PwnageTool build the firmware, once completed follow the instructions on the pwnagetool app to put your device into DFU mode, you will see “Successfully entered DFU mode” when you have done the correct steps.
13. Now we open iTunes, your iTunes should give you a message stating that the device is in recovery mode, thats what we want dont worry. Next while holding the Option(OSX)/shift(Win) button on the keyboard click the restore button on itunes. This will allow you to browse and select a firmware.
14. Select the firmware you created from your desktop and let iTunes restore your device.
15. Now you may connect your device back and restore your settings from iTunes
Dev team has also released an updated version of Ultrasn0w (v1.2.7), which now supports iOS 5.1.1 that can be installed after preserving baseband with PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze. This can be downloaded from cydia.