Today Apple has released the final release of the iOS 6 firmware, 6.0 Gold Master. This will be the same release which is preloaded on all the new iPhone 5s arriving next week.
As always our boys from the JB community have already been able to patch their jailbreak software and add support for this latest iOS 6 firmware. Currently the jailbreak is tethered and supports the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4G. But it’s already a great start for the future of iOS 6 jailbreaking. So, if you just can’t wait and need your jailbreak right away then you can go ahead and use this until the untethered version arrives. A tethered jailbreak for those who don’t know still allows full jailbreak functionality, however it requires you to boot your devices using Redsn0w to enable the jailbreak features. So lets take a look at the new Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4 version and show you how it’s done. The new version of Redsn0w is supported on both the windows and OS X platform.
STEP 1 JAILBREAKING
1. Download this Redsn0w from the top right corner of this page.
2. Download and install iOS 6 on your device
3. Start Redsn0w
4. Click the Jailbreak Button
5. Plug your device and then turn it off then hit next
5. Follow instructions to put the device into DFU mode, when your device is recognized in DFU mode redsn0w will start to jailbreak your device, sit back and wait till your iPhone reboots.
Now that you are jailbroken you have to boot into jailbreak mode so you can use the jailbreak features.
STEP 2 BOOTING INTO JAILBREAK MODE (TETHERED BOOT)
1. Start Redsn0w
2. Click Extras
3. Click Just boot
4. Follow the instructions again to put your device into DFU mode.
Now you are jailbroken and booted. This early version still does not have Cydia bundled with it, but if you know how to install it via SSH then you can go ahead and install it.
UPDATE 09/20/2012 : How to install Cydia on iOS 6