We’ve just seen the new beta 1 release from Apple a few days ago, and guess what there’s already a tethered jailbreak available for developers. The tethered jailbreak is provided by the new Redsn0w 0.9.13dev version, which is available for both Windows and Mac users.
This new version of Redsn0w just released by the Dev Team member Musclenerd should only be used for people who know what they are doing. There is no cydia installed only access is through SSH and AFC2, so if you don’t know what you are doing, please stay away. But for all the cydia developers out there, they can rejoice as they once again have access to the filesystem on iOS 6.
Check the official release notes below.
Just like at the at the wind-down of last year’s WWDC, we’re releasing a developer-only version of a redsn0w tethered jailbreak for app developers. The following limera1n-able devices are supported:
iPod touch 4G
UNLOCKERS AND THOSE PRESERVING THEIR UNLOCKABLE BASEBANDS SHOULD STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS! You will very likely lose your unlockable baseband if you try to install iOS 6.
THIS JAILBREAK IS INTENDED ONLY FOR DEVELOPERS OF JAILBROKEN APPS! There are just too many broken components (Apple’s official apps, 3rd-party App Store apps, Cydia apps, etc) for this to be useful to anyone but those truly looking to fix bugs in their iOS 6 jailbroken apps.
CYDIA WILL NOT BE INSTALLED because it just hasn’t had time to be updated to the new SDK. The only access you’ll get to the device is through SSH or afc2. If you don’t know what either of those are, you shouldn’t be using this developer version of redsn0w!
THIS REDSN0W WILL NOT HACTIVATE! You need to be an iOS developer with a registered UDID to get past the activation screens. PLEASE DON’T PIRATE APPLE SOFTWARE! Only registered devs with Macs can develop iOS applications,and only those people will have legitimate access to the beta IPSWs.
THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK ONLY! No new exploits are being exposed with this jailbreak (it uses geohot’s limera1n bootrom exploit), but that comes at a cost. You will need to use redsn0w to “Just boot” button to be able to use many things, including Cydia and Safari. If you see a white icon for Cydia, or if Cydia or Safari crash when you open them, it’s because you didn’t boot tethered.
You must point redsn0w at your IPSW the first time you “Jailbreak” and “Just boot” tethered because that IPSW is only available to developers, and redsn0w can’t automatically fetch the pieces it needs from it.
redsn0w 0.9.13dev1 (OS X)
The jailbreak process is pretty simple.
1. You must first update to iOS 6. So you need to be a developer or have your device’s UDID added to a developers access list, that way when you install iOS 6 you can actually activate your device to use it.
2. Download redsn0w and start it up, select the jailbreak button
3. Read onscreen instructions first ! When ready, hit Next to put your device into DFU mode,
4. Once your device has rebooted you still need to boot it into tethered state, so start redsn0w again but this time select the ‘Extras’ button
5. Next select the Just boot option
6. Again follow the instructions to put the device into DFU mode, this will boot your device into a tethered jailbreak state.
You are now jailbroken and booted into jailbreak mode, test out accessing the device using SSH