Today we’ll talk about the new version of Redsn0w just released from the iPhone Dev Team.
This latest versions allows the user to downgrade your iPhone 4S and iPad 2:)
Downgrading both these devices back to 5.0.1, restores the ability to jailbreak the devices once again. Even though we’ve been able to downgrade the first generation iPad and all the other iPhones / iPods, any A5 chip has not had this luxury. This means if you accidentally upgraded your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to 5.1, then you’ve lost your jailbreak ability. However with this new version of Redsn0w we now have that option.
Ok so lets go over the requirements.
- you must have your SHSH blobs saved for 5.0.1 in Cydia to qualify for the downgrade, watch my video here to see how you can check if you have blobs saved in cydia
- download the correct iOS 5.1.1 firmware for your device & the firmware you want to downgrade to, from our iOS firmware download page
- download redsn0w for windows or mac
1. Connect your device to your computer then shutdown iTunes
2. First select the ‘Extras’ button
3. Next select the ‘Even more’ button at the bottom
4. Next select the ‘Restore’ button
5. Now we’re going to select the IPSW button, at which point redsn0w will ask you for the firmware that you downloaded from our iOS firmware download page
6. Last step is to select Local or Remote, if you have your SHSH backed up locally you can select local, otherwise select remote to connect to Cydia (95% of users pick this)
Almost done, click next and let Redsn0w create the custom IPSW and restore your device to the chosen firmware.
Once you are downgrade to 5.0.1, you can now fully jailbreak your iPad 2 and iPhone 4S using my 5.0.1 Absinthe video tutorials here.
The A5 downgrade method actually updates to the latest firmware before downgrading to the earlier one. This process updates your baseband to whatever is newest. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IF YOU RELY ON UNOFFICIAL UNLOCKS of your iPhone4S. Those who used the temporary SAM technique to unlock their iPhones to specific SIMs shouldn’t be affected by this baseband update.